Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Little Graces

Did you know that the Greek word for "grace" in the New Testament also means "thanks"? I love that. I learned it a long time ago and, unfortunately, I am quick to forget it. Isn't that just the most fascinating and convicting thing ever? Something to think about this Thanksgiving and Christmas season...

What are some of the little graces you are thankful for this holiday season?

Me? I am thankful for my husband, my family, my friends, and a whole lot of lesser things like spiced tea, a good book, and a nice, long walk. I am thankful for my heritage. Growing up in a strong, Christian home is a gift that is not lost on me. I am thankful for the many people who have shaped my life thus-far and the countless others who will, no doubt, shape it in the years to come. I am thankful for all of the experiences and opportunities that have shaped me over these first few decades of my life. I am thankful for hazelnut coffee at Panera Bread and any of a number of diet drinks (with the exception of Diet Pepsi...ew). I am thankful for inspiring movies like Julie &Julia and even Surf's Up (which I saw the other day...cute and encouraging). I am thankful for moments of silliness with my husband. I am thankful for friends who will come together in prayer at a moment's notice. I consider myself blessed to live in an age where there are not one, but TWO dance shows on TV. :) I am thankful for a lot of little, unimportant things that bring a little slice of joy to my life. I am also thankful for the communion of saints, a good quote, and a heartfelt prayer.

Most of all, I am thankful to be a child of the King. I may not always show my gratitude to Him for all He has done, but I am constantly aware of my need for Him. He is the Author of all hope, the Giver of all good things, and a Constant in this ever-changing world. My cup overflows in thanks for all that He has done and is doing in my life. I pray for the grace to be more and more thankful with each new day, regardless of my circumstances.

"And from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." - John 1:16

No comments: