Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Four-Wheelers, Firearms, and Field Goals

I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my fine, Southern gentleman of a boyfriend and his family in rural Alabama. As the alliterative title to the blog suggests, I did everything one would expect to do in such a town. Well...short of actually hunting and killing something. It was fantastic.

Let me begin by saying that I am a "city" girl from Arkansas. I never came close to a four-wheeler or a firearm during my childhood (or thereafter...). I grew up with two sisters, so the opportunity to kick a field goal was non-existent. Now that I have shot a gun, driven a four-wheeler, and kicked a field goal....I feel like I was missing out!

Don't get me wrong. I loved my childhood. I had my own sort of adventures in my hometown. But they were mostly of the city park, mall, and movie variety. All we heard about four-wheelers and firearms were the dangers of both. And while they are dangerous when used improperly, I've got to admit that they are also a lot of fun!

My Thanksgiving in rural Alabama was everything I hoped it would be. Time moved slower. People were unbelievably friendly. The food was amazing. The scenery was gorgeous. The entertainment was the best kind. It was perfect. Just good, Southern hospitality and fun. The kind involving four-wheelers (What a thrill!), firearms (I am not such a good aim...but no one got hurt!), and field goals. Oh, and wonderful home-cooking, Southern accents, and porch swings. I miss it already!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Your post reminded me of old memories in rural Alabama. I am glad you had such a great experience! There is something to be said for southern food, hospitality, and the quieter pace in the country...

jsw said...

I love that you said, "city girl from Arkansas." Most people would laugh at that.

I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving though. See you soon I hope.