Monday, May 28, 2007

Say God...

I've been re-reading a book I had to read for one of my preaching classes in seminary called Subversive Spirituality by Eugene Peterson. I stumbled across these words and wanted to share them with you. I realize that I do this a lot on my blog (share quotes with you), and I am unashamed about that. I believe wholeheartedly that we are in this together and if someone else can say it better than I can, I will gladly use their words. Besides, collecting quotes from authors I love and admire - past and present - makes me feel like I am a part of a greater community. And we believe that, don't we? We affirm the "communion of saints" each time we say the Apostles Creed. I love that about being a Christian. It means I am a part of a community of people across the ages who struggled to love and serve God (and allow Him to love and serve them) the same way I do today. I can think of few things more beautiful than that thought...

That being said, here are Eugene Peterson's thoughts on what it means to love God's people. The chapter is specifically about pastoring weddings, funerals, and everything in between. I think it can be applied to a myriad of situations as we all seek to be a part of the "priesthood of believers."

"Why are we [here]? We are [here] to say God. We are [here] for one reason and one reason only: to pray. We are [here] to focus the brimming, overflowing, cascading energies of joy, sorrow, delight, or appreciation, if only for a moment but for as long as we are able, on God. We are [here] to say God personally, to say his name clearly, distinctly, unapologetically, in prayer. We are there to say it without hemming and hawing, without throat clearing and without shuffling, without propagandizing, proselytizing, or manipulating. We have no other task...WE are not needed to add to what is there; there is already more than anyone can take in. We are required only to say the Name: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

In addition to the communion of saints I spoke of above, I am convinced of something else, too. I believe that we as Christians spend a lot of time trying to defend God and/or downplay His work in our lives. Both are tragic positions that we all take. What would this world look like if we spent more time just doing what Peterson charged us to do above? What if we just "say God" to people with our words, our prayers, and our actions? I dare say it would do much more than anything else we could do...

No comments: