Thursday, February 22, 2007

On Lent...

I think it is safe to say I feel more ready for the season of Lent this year than I ever have. This is because we at Wesley have really prepared ourselves this year. It is a sight to behold to see college students so committed to starting off these 40+ days with the right mindset. It took me years to really grasp what Lent is all about...I am still learning! I am amazed at the depth of these students and the heart they put into it all.

We started off with a Fat Tuesday celebration with all sorts of amazing food prepared by a group of students. Amazing. The food and the fellowship were both incredible.

We moved from there into a very reflective prayer service. A handful of students took it upon themselves to completely transform our common room into a beautiful place of worship. It was stunning. Two freshmen (yes, I said freshmen!) shared their hearts on prayer. Their words continue to follow me...wow! There were more students there than any of us expected. We could've stopped there and been completely ready for Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent. But we didn't...

The worship service was planned as a kick-off for 24-hours of prayer in our prayer chapel. It was arranged with several different stations for prayer. Bibles, prayers, candles, prayer journals, pastels and art paper, post-it notes, and all sort of things to guide their prayer. The results of this were amazing. I'll try to post some pictures of it in the next few days.

We ended (or should I say began the season) with an Ash Wednesday Service organized and led by our liturgical dance group. They danced to Scriptures (beautiful and expressive) and songs and did the imposition of the ashes themselves.

This has been the most incredible (and exhausting!) 48-hours I've ever spent preparing for this important season.

"I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection
and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings,
becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow,
to attain to the resurrection of the dead." -- Philippians 3:10-11


1 comment:

Halley said...

Ditto to all of the above.

PS: I really enjoyed worship Sunday night. You rock.