Friday, January 26, 2007

Hope...

"Hope begins in the dark. You wait and watch and work. You don't give up." - Anne Lamott

I read these words months ago, but only now are they really ringing true to me. It has been a rough ride here in Auburn these six months. I love my students, love the man I work with, love the area, and love that I get to do what I do for a living. I have not loved the feelings of loneliness and unsettledness that I have had. I've talked about it in other blogs, so I won't revisit it all. Suffice to say that I've done my share of waiting, watching, and working...and not giving up (sometimes just barely!!). I feel closer to God than ever before and more hopeful than I have in a long time. And hope is a beautiful thing...it definitely begins in the dark, but there is all sorts of light on the other side.

4 comments:

Jackson said...

"The more troubles I experience, the more convinced I am that I do the will of God." -Francis Asbury

Love you.

Ben Witherington said...

Hang in their Julie, God reveals just enough of the future to give you hope, but not so much that you don't have to keep trusting him.

Your brother,

Ben

Teddy said...

I was on Todd's blog and then saw a link to yours and was curious to see what you had to say. Thanks for this Anne Lamott quote. I'm talking about hope this week, and this speaks perfectly to it. Hope they're treating you well down there!

jilljohnandhope said...

You know I love a blog about hope! Here are my 2 favorite hope quotes:
"For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, plans to give you a future and a hope." Jer. 29:11 (We named Hope after that one.)
"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies." Andy Dufrain in The Shawshand Redemption.
Hang on to Hope, Julie. I am convinced it will get us through anything, leaving us better than we could have ever hoped for.